Founded in 1953, Camp Lee Mar has brought many innovations to the field of camping for children with special needs and continues to do so.
Camp Lee Mar is a private, residential summer program for campers 7-21 with mild to moderate developmental challenges (such as Autism, Down Syndrome, ADHD). We offer a unique curriculum incorporating a strong Academic and Speech program with traditional camp activities.
Our campers flourish at Lee Mar due to the structured environment we provide which allows our campers to feel comfortable and secure. At Lee Mar the children find comfort and friendship with children of similar age and functioning level.
Careful study is made of parent input, school (IEPs), camper interview, etc., so that the interests and needs of each child can best be determined for suitable grouping prior to the camper arriving. From this foundation we encourage our campers to embrace and learn new skills and have new experiences which they can build upon on their return home.
We also focus on building friendships which last throughout the year, as well as learning how to cope with the dynamics of group situations. Development of the whole child is our goal.
We work hard at improving the daily living, social, and life skills of our campers, while giving them the happiest summer of their lives!
WE ARE SIX AND 1/2 WEEKS OF AWESOME!
While Lee Mar takes pride in our academic-related programs, we also want to make sure our campers are enjoying traditional camp activities and all the adapted special needs summer programs we have to offer. Days at Camp Lee Mar are filled with smiles, laughs, and fun! Whether our campers are in the pool, playing kickball, fishing, painting, dancing, or participating in one of the many other activities at camp, we make sure our campers are having the time of their lives! Our goal is to give the campers an amazing summer experience while working on their academics, speech, and daily living skills.
Our teachers and therapists are not only found in the classrooms but also at activities, helping to generalize IEP goals during the day-to-day activities at camp. Our campers learn to fold their clothing, make their beds, shower independently, and work on dining-room skills. Six and ½ weeks is the perfect length of time to have great fun while learning and mastering new skills.
EXCLUSIVELY FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS:
Camp Lee Mar is a summer camp for children with special needs. Lee Mar campers have a varied range of abilities within the mild to moderate range. Our campers are fully ambulatory and have a basic grasp of their daily living skills.
OUR SUMMER CAMP SPECIAL NEEDS PROGRAM CAN ACCOMMODATE CAMPERS WITH, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Developmental Challenges
• Learning Disabilities
• Down Syndrome
• Williams Syndrome
• Autism Spectrum Disorder
• Social Communication Disorder
• Fragile X
• Sensory Processing Disorder
• Prader-Willi Syndrome
Due to our campers’ various diagnoses and capabilities, groups are carefully curated to ensure a healthy setting for growth and fun. During our camp for special needs children, we want our campers to make lasting friendships and to be placed in an environment that allows them to do so.
Camp Lee Mar campers are from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, and religious backgrounds. They come from all over the United States, and many different countries.
Please feel free to contact camp if you have questions about whether our summer camps for children with special needs would be a good fit for your child.
SOME OF THE REASONS WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT:
• OVERALL FOCUS – Every game, art project, event, meal, and trip is designed for our special needs campers. Parents know that their child will be included and able to participate to the best of their ability.
• LEADERSHIP – The priorities and overall structure of a camp starts at the top. Camp Lee Mar’s three directors not only have extensive camping experience, but also have a wealth of experience working with special needs individuals. Additionally, Ari and Lynsey both have children with special needs.
• SAFE HAVEN – Our campers have an amazing summer and are in an environment where they are just like everyone else. At Camp Lee Mar we build strong self-confidence and lifelong friendships. Summer programs for special needs kids is what we do!
• COUNSELORS – Lee Mar’s counselors come to camp specifically to be with special needs campers. They are motivated to work at a camp for special needs kids and are the best individuals to be working with the campers. Many of our counselors are pursuing careers in the field of special needs.
• STAFF – Our counselors and support staff arrive a week before our campers and go through intensive training and workshops preparing for the arrival of our campers.
Please let Camp Lee Mar know that you found their camp on Camps Rock! 😊